Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quick thoughts

I'm thinking that you could start overlapping my blogging schedule w/ my wife's crappy reality TV show watching schedule. It's Tuesday and that means it's Biggest Loser night at this house. And not Tomb Raider: Underworld night. I started this yesterday and I'm liking it so far. The wide open ocean sections look like they might be a bit overwhelming, but we'll see how it goes. Endless Ocean is also on it's way from GameFly, so I'll have plenty of opportunities to get lost in the deep blue sea.

It's not really worth it's own post, but I've noticed lately while playing some Guitar Hero: World Tour that rhythm games can put me in sort of a trance. I suppose that's not that uncommon, due to all the repetitive motions and your zoned-out state concentrating on the music. For me, I'll remember random events from the past that have nothing to do with the music. They're usually good memories, and I get to smile to myself and think of what we did on that canoe trip years ago, or old friends I haven't thought of in years. Anyone else do this?

2 comments:

Todd Davis said...

I'll leave the Tomb Raider comments alone - I've never played one of those games though I'm sure I'd find a lot to like there - who doesn't like action adventure platforming with light combat (I assume this is the general recipe for all TR games).

As for music games putting me into a trance where odd things pop into my head, I know what you mean. I experienced an even weirder phenomenon last fall while trying to get a specific achievement in Geometry Wars 2 (amazing game btw).

There's an achievement that has you playing through the "sequence" game mode which is 20 screen/waves of enemies. After awhile each waves 'pattern' starts to inhabit its own specific spot in your brain. What was weirdest was - say - early on in my achievement effort I thought of an old family friend while on wave 7. Each subsequent play through, when I reached wave 7 I was suddenly unable to NOT think of that old family friend. It was very Pavlovian.

Dave said...

Nice! I could definitely see that happening. I've played the DS version of that long enough to get the idea and see how you could get in a trance.