Monday, May 3, 2010

Bioshock 2

Bioshock 2 is good. It got generally favorable reviews, and it's easy to see why. I kept playing longer than I meant to and I often played for long stretches at a time. It didn't keep track of hours for me, so maybe it was just a relatively short game, but I went through the single player very quickly. I played both it and the previous one on the 360 and got probably 70% of the available achievement points. I mention that because it illustrates how I played the game. I collected stuff.

I collected a lot of stuff. Not that I went out of my way tracking down every last hidden flashing thing to get 100% completion, but this game certainly strikes a chord with the loot collector type person. I often found myself picking through the fallen splicers' pockets while a battle was still going on. Or I'd be raiding all the cabinets without really making sure the room was safe to do so. This must have been an intentional decision on the part of the developers. You actually have to look down at dead enemies on the ground and push a button to collect their stuff. And they always have stuff. Occasionally you'll already be full of that type of ammo or whatever, but you never have to decide whether to pick up the new thing or keep your existing thing. Since there's no penalty for picking up everything, I almost would have preferred if you automatically picked up stuff as you walked over it, like lots of shooters do. Then maybe I would have spent more time devising devilish ways to dispatch deranged denizens of the deep instead of collecting crap (sorry, sentences are fun sometimes).

In the last game I was a bit schizophrenic with regards to Little Sisters. These are the young girls that help you along and collect genetic gunk from corpses. They're all about 9 (?) years old with identical brown hair and dresses. Anyway, I killed some and rescued some when the game gives you the binary choice. You are rewarded more if you pick a path and stay with it. So that's what I did in the second game for the Little Sisters. But you're also given a few chances in the game to either kill or spare some other story characters. The way they're presented isn't quite as black and white as the Little Sisters, so I ended up saving some, killing others. So I ended up getting the nice guy ending I think.

Some of the general sentiment about the game was that the original was a story masterpiece that stood on its own and the sequel was only made because they saw dollar signs. While I suppose that's partly true, the sequel never felt contrived and it gave me another chance to explore a beautiful and strange world again. I was happy to go back to Rapture.

The new addition this time around were the Big Sisters. A nice touch that fit in with the story well. But I had a lot of trouble with them on the Medium difficulty which was fine for everything in the game but that. Switching to Easy worked but I got bored with it as soon as I wasn't fighting them. So the difficulty is a bit uneven, maybe.

Once again I skipped the multiplayer portion and sent it back to GameFly pretty quickly. Although I was amused to get an e-mail from them saying I could 'keep Bioshock 2 for only $16!' while I was playing it. If I felt like getting into the multiplayer this would have been a steal. I see that Assassin's Creed 2 is on it's way next, so I'll be back with words about that eventually.

No comments: