Saturday, August 14, 2010

RDR

I won't spend too much time on this since it was already covered pretty well by Matt here and here. I also thought it ended strangely. The last series of missions when you're back at your house are a bit boring but I liked the tranquility of them. They seemed like a tutorial type of thing that should have been at the beginning of the game though, not the end.

I really wanted Uncle and John to shut up when I had to tame 3 horses in a row. In fact, the scenery was so great throughout the game, I could have used a lot less ambient dialogue like that. The developers seemed to abhor awkward silences when another character was around.

This was a game like the next one I'll be talking about, Mario Galaxy 2, where I went back and forth between thinking "OMG, this is teh greatest game ever!" to "is this over yet? I'm about to quit playing." I think the thing that made me feel like this in RDR is that I never had a good sense of how many more missions I needed to do to find the next former gang member dude and eventually finish the game. And I only found the true ending by accident. I just figured I'd go clean up some of The Stranger missions and that were closest to the farm. I didn't realize the wild goose chase I got sent on would take me to the "actual" ending.

No comments: