Monday, April 22, 2013

Zelda: Wind Waker

This won't be a full review because I doubt I'll make it through the full game before my next GameFly game shows up (Sleeping Dogs is on the way). I've had a vague craving to play this game again for a while now and things lined up to allow me to play it in the last few days. It's still incredibly charming, and I'm over my "what is the cartoon bullshit that they've done to Zelda!?" phase. Or maybe it helped that I played two more fairly good Zelda games with this art style on the DS so I've had time to get used to it.
It holds up surprisingly well for coming out over 8 years ago. I'm playing it on the Wii and it decided to turn on progressive scan (480p?) on the 1080p TV I've got it hooked up to. The only thing that looks bad is when things that aren't in the foreground are a bit blurry. The only frustrating thing has been the controls. I've played a ton of first and third person games in a 3D space since this game came out. Let's just say there's been a lot of standardization and improvement. I keep wanting to use the right "analog stick" to move the camera in a way that would feel at home in a Gears of War or Mass Effect game. Nope. And there's a surprising amount of making sure Link is lined up _just right_ to make a jump or something. Even in the beginning levels.
So maybe I'll keep going back to this game when I have the chance. We'll see. I did like that it's been long enough since I've played it that I really felt myself getting into the role of a young kid on a tiny island. I could almost smell the sea salt in the air when I climbed up a cliff and looked out at the ocean.

No comments: