Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Port & Starboard


Whenever I go to an actual arcade, I end up spending most of my time playing something Star Wars-related or Hydro Thunder. It's basically a silly, over the top racing game. On the water. With ridiculous looking boats and locations. And I love it.


So when I heard about Hydro Thunder Hurricane coming to XBLA, I was immediately interested. I played the demo and thought about it for a few days. Was it really worth $15 even though the demo only let you try one track? Eventually I decided it was and I haven't regretted it.

The best part of the game are the controls. Everything just feels right when you're turning, jumping out of the water, and slamming back down. Some of the boats have quirky handling, but I mostly tried to stick to the one or two that I liked.

I hear the online play can be fun, I should probably try that at some point. But I have a feeling I'd get steamrolled by 12 year olds. Plus I'd have to listen to all of them. So maybe not.

2 comments:

Todd Davis said...

it strikes me that this was a game I played on the Dreamcast - interesting that two of the five XBLA "summer of arcade" titles were straight up old school reboots this year - and now we've got "game feast" for the fall.

Dave said...

Game Feast, you say, eh? I had to look that up since I hadn't heard of it.