Thursday, October 21, 2010

A short time with a lot of games

I accidentally got Castlevania: Lords of Shadow in the mail. Accidentally because it was one of those games I added to my queue when I first heard about it, and then forgot about it. It happened to come to me shortly after release and I thought "huh, I know almost nothing about this one." Don't look at me like that. You know you've done it with Netflix.


This just about sums it up perfectly, since I didn't really enjoy this game. And the thought of slogging through two discs worth of stuff that I didn't really enjoy made me a little bit sad. So I took the opportunity over a few days out of town to send the game back and have a new one waiting for me when I got home.

The new one was ModNation Racers and it's already in the envelope to go back. Not because it's bad. I sort of enjoyed the Sony take on Mario Kart. But because the game is broken. I think it's just my copy, because surely other people would have noticed if it locks up any time you try to go to anything but career race, right? I spent a ton of time downloading updates and patches for the game. It's a shame I didn't get to play it more.

On my trip I tackled a few newer DS games. Super Scribblenauts won for "most time consumed." I like it. But I cringe every time a level starts by flashing up "Adjective Level." I feel like you have to do some trial and error to get one of the three or four words the developers were thinking of to pass those. I need to try a few more of the action levels and try out the new, non-stylus based controls a bit more.

Alice in Wonderland (for DS) surprised me a bit. The art style is really original and the gameplay is mostly not boring. I probably need to put in some more time on that one.

Splinter Cell Conviction is on it's way next. Mainly because I hear you can effectively play the entire game by sneaking around and poppin' dudes in the head with a silenced pistol. Good times!

No comments: