Saturday, May 23, 2009

All day game session

I've gotten in a good amount of game time today. I've been switching between RE5, Puzzle Quest: Galactrix, Burnout Paradise, and the new Bionic Commando. I've talked about all but the last two, so I'll make a few observations about those.

Bionic Commando is a pretty spiffy translation of an old 2D game into 3D. A lot of the sounds and items will be familiar especially if, like me, you just played through Bionic Commando: Rearmed not too long ago. Since the same company is responsible for both, they put some nice little design cues in to tie them together. Perhaps David Jaffe says it best:
@djaffe Keep coming back- time and again- 2 Bionic Commando. Cool lvl design structure; good viz; just fun. Feels old skool but new! Dig it!
It's got a few knocks since I can't always tell how much damage I'm taking and tend to die a lot. Maybe I'll get better as it goes along. And I really think they gave the guy dreadlocks just so it looks cool flapping in the breeze as he swings all over the place with the bionic arm.

Burnout Paradise, I don't know how to quit you! I had a blast with the demo when it came out, so I rented it and played a bunch. I even ventured online and played with random XBL dudes (I know!). I think I like it so much because it takes my favorite part of the Grand Theft Auto games (
driving really fast and jumping off stuff) and makes an entire game around it. So when I found a copy for only $10, I had to pick it up. I've been picking up some achievements that I missed the first time around and enjoying the new free content that's been added. I hear the new expansion next month is all about big air, so I may have to buy that.

Resident Evil 5 is still good, I think I'll go play some more...

No comments: