Thursday, May 21, 2009

Fiiiiiive


So it's been a while since the last post. But apparently one season ended and another began so maybe now my blogging night will be Thurs.

I spent as much time as I felt was necessary with MK Vs. DC and am on to Resident Evil 5. I'm really liking it so far. The controls took me a few minutes to get used to, but once I remembered how things were in RE4, I felt right at home. An over the shoulder view where you move like a tank and can't shoot and move at the same time certainly isn't what I would have asked for in a shooter, but in this game it just works. It seems like all the familiar RE4 sounds are there except the classic "what are ya buyin!?" guy. I miss him. Arranging and buying items without him works just as well, but seems a bit sterile.

I think I'm still towards the beginning of chapter two and I'm already seeing a lot of variety in level design and pacing. I actually had a ton of trouble in the very first segment where you have to fight off a seemingly endless stream of zombie dudes. It's such a departure from the plodding, slow corridor-fest of RE4. I didn't quite know what to do. My stupid AI partner kept getting herself killed since I thought I needed to camp out in one spot and kill everything I saw. I fared better once I started moving around and hunting for ammo. But I had to learn that by trial and error.

I mentioned my stupid AI partner which means I'm soloing this game that's supposedly designed for co-op. I want to go through it the first time on my own and soak up all the details. That seemed to be the right thing to do after my time with Left 4 Dead co-op. Not that I didn't have a blast then, it's just a very different experience. I seemed to get thrown in with guys who knew the levels really well and I was always running to play catch up. I think if I had a friend to play RE5 with rather than some random Xbox Live person, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about it.

I should get in some quality game time in over the long weekend. I'll be travelling for part of it, so I'll play a bit of DS as well. I recently started up a game in Zelda:Phantom Hourglass again. I seemed to have waited the perfect amount of time for me to forget most of where I need to go, so it's like a new game all over again. Plus I'll be ready for the new one at the end of the year.

While writing this, I kept hearing the Idle Thumbs guys say Fiiiiiive over and over again in my head (from one of their older podcasts). So that's what you get for the title. If you've never heard them, you ought to. They're damn funny.

No comments: