Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Silly games

That's right, it's Tuesday again. When my wife takes over the TV and I sign into Blogger. I just finished De Blob a day or so ago. I mentioned before how much I liked it. That I decided to stick with it to the end says volumes for the game. Sure it had a few minor control quirks, but the designers must have sort of realized that since there were relatively few sections that relied heavily on precise jumping. The difficulty at the end ramps up and offers a decent challenge. I eventually welcomed it after the very easy, lazy first levels where I mostly just wandered around in a 3D coloring book. One thing that did strike me as odd was that since there are so many challenges, you can finish the level without really accomplishing the main objectives that the guide characters keep telling you to do. Towards the end I'm supposed to go take down some big structure and free all the citizens (or something...I don't know, it all sort of blurs together after a while) but if you happen to get enough points through other means to open up the end gate, you can finish the level without actually doing that. "You're our only hope to save our world!...Or, you know just paint some stuff and find the exit and that'll work too." Anyway, since I'm not the sort of person that feels like I have to get 100% on every level (and due to the fact that it was rented) I sent it back and am on to the next thing.

The next thing turned out to be Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe. This game is just as silly as De Blob, it just doesn't realize it. There's at least a little bit of explanation why all these people would be fighting each other but I guess story isn't really necessary in fighting games. Which I don't ever play. The graphics aren't that impressive and the character models are odd and exaggerated (think way larger than necessary boobs and incredibly muscular limbs). All of this aside, I'm sort of enjoying myself with this one. I guess that's the beauty of low expectations.

No comments: