Thursday, February 26, 2009

Setting up a new computer is sort of like a game


Not much time for games today since my new laptop showed up and I've been customizing the heck out of it. I played Galactrix long enough to do the first battle and be confused on which way the gems are gonna fall. I miss gravity.

Since I made a list of things to do to set up the new laptop, I figured I might as well share. Let me know if I've forgotten anything.

1. Install Firefox

  • Hide shortcuts to Internet Explorer (can't uninstall since a few sites require it)
  • Extensions: Adblock, All-In-One-Gestures, Foxmarks, IE Tab
  • Tools::Options::Security::Master password enable
2. Install iTunes
  • I'd prefer something else since I only use about 10% of its features and it's a resource hog, but it works
  • Resubscribe to podcasts
  • Import music/playlists from external HD
3. Install Eset Nod Virus protection and buy subscription

4. Install SpyBot Search & Destroy

5. Install Audacity

6. Set up sharing w/ Xbox 360

7. Play around w/ Vista widgets?

8. Disable stupid stuff that automatically runs on startup

9. Profit!

No comments: