Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gears 2 and some creepy crawlies


So I finished Gears of War 2 the other day. It was pretty much what you'd expect from a sequel. More of the formula established in the first, but with crazier settings and more "character development." Or at least what passes for it in the testosterone-injected shooter. I enjoyed it well enough I guess, but as you can tell from the time since the last post, I wasn't rushing to the computer to write about it.
I started Deadly Creatures on the Wii as well. Two different people laughed when I told them the name of the game I just started, but it seems decent to me. Being able to crawl up on walls (and eventually, I hear, ceilings) is pretty neat until the camera that tries to follow you gets confused. I'm not sure what's messed up about it, but I don't remember having this problem in the zero G sections of Dead Space. Or am I comparing apples to oranges?
I'm amused by the roaring sound effects that accompany any spider or scorpion attack, and the the chittering feet sound is kinda creepy too. A few times I felt like there might have been somthing crawling on me. So job well done, I guess. But the Wii motion controls are a hinderance. Most of the special moves are mapped to moving the remote or nunchuk this way or that. But the timing and sensitivity of these are a bit off. So I end up flailing my hands around for no reason. Which is frustrating.
So in summary: neat concept, art, and sound...but bad controls.

No comments: