Monday, February 2, 2009

Prince(ss) of Persia

No post for a while now. I've been busy with Gears of War 2 and Prince of Persia. Mostly Prince of Persia. It's been pointed out that the name is really kind of misleading, but I guess it makes more sense to re-use a well known title rather than jump to some cheeky re-imagining of it. While Princess of Persia would be more accurate, I don't think I'd be able to confidently tell people what I was playing without mumbling and looking away. It just doesn't sound manly. But if you're worried about that, just put in Gears 2. Holy crap. There are more explosions, muscles, and steel in just the first chapter or two than in any Michael Bay movie I've seen. I've been trying play Prince of Persia when the wife's around. I have a feeling she'd hate watching Gears.

So I like Prince of Persia even though it gets a bit repetitive. I'm actually sort of impressed how they can combine wall runs, pole flipping, and Elika-assisted jumps with only slight variations in order and scenery. But the boss fights get old pretty quick. They're basically rhythm and timing exercises where you have to memorize visual clues. Not exciting stuff. It's actually really frustrating. I don't want to have to remember that when she hits her staff on the ground, I have a split second to press B. I just wanna wail on whatever buttons I feel like. But I put up with the frustrating to see the great scenery and fluid controls.

I plan on finishing up with the Princess and moving on to Gears next week. But I'll be in Colorado for a long weekend of snowboarding, so I should get in some quality time w/ the DS. Chrono Trigger and Soul Bubbles are likely candidates, but we'll see what happens.

No comments: