Sunday, January 4, 2009

GameFly, the US Post Office, and the relentless drive for efficiency


I spent this weekend without a new game to play. Since I have the 2 game out at a time subscription from GameFly you wouldn't think this would happen all that often. Well it wouldn't if I didn't spend so much time playing the waiting game. The waiting game has many levels but most of them suck. I think the main problem is GameFly not having a shipping center close to KC, but the post office's inconsistency comes into play too. It got a little better since they opened up a center in TX but I'm still seeing turn around times of about a week from when I drop a game in the mail to when a new one arrives.
Their Fast Return system is a great idea, but I'm not sure whether to blame it's inconsistency on GF or the USPS. The idea is that the USPS scans the package when I ship it out and that somehow immediately notifies GF through the use of electrons and black magic. They then realize that they should send a new game to me and do so. Great! When they use it. Which seems like it's not very often. Maybe the USPS was busy that day or the "scanning machine" wasn't working. I don't know, but it frustrates my OCD-like love of efficiency. It makes it even worse when I know the system can work very well if it wanted to. Netflix, for instance has a shipping center in KC. You drop a disc in the mail and have a new one back the next day most of the time. Or there's the one miracle weekend where I dropped off a game on Fri. afternoon and had a new one waiting for me on Mon. Which really screwed up my plans to get Halo 3 the day it came out.
But anyway, it frustrates me and my wife just rolls her eyes when I complain about, so I thought I'd send off a stream of complaints into the ether.

No comments: