Friday, January 16, 2009

Looking in the mirror's...edge

MirrorSee More Mirror's Edge Screenshot at IGN.com

This game is beautiful. There are times when I want to stop and look around a bit but there's always a sense of "hurry up! get to the next place!" I guess that comes from the story mostly, but some of the time you're getting shot at. So that can motivate you too.
The game does a good job of letting you know how it wants you to play it. Lots of games empower you by starting out helpless and giving you powerups and tutorials a bit at a time. Mirror's Edge gives you all your most powerful tools right away: your feet and hands. You quickly get the idea that you can't take on all the "Blues" (cops) that are after you so you need to run and use the environment to your advantage. Your character can "see" the way out by looking for bright red features in the environment.
My wife was really excited about this one. But she played for a few minutes and couldn't hack the dual analog stick, first person controls. She complained about this in Mass Effect too. I guess it's just an essential life skill I've picked up along the way that she's missed. To be fair, I never learned how to...uh...know when to wear black versus brown? One thing she pointed out that I wouldn't have noticed is that the first person perspective hampers you more than just knowing when to jump off the platform you're running on. It would be really neat to see a replay of the cool wallrun/jump/dive that you just did from a third person perspective.
Well, I'm about halfway through the game, so I'll post more if I have any more impressions of it.

No comments: