Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Not mentioned on DS Lunch: DS games


So Gears of War 2 didn't show up yet, so I got to thinking that this blog isn't all that appropriately titled lately. I don't think anyone really cares about my glorious, come-from-behind Mario Kart DS victory last week so I'll just talk a bit about other DS games that I've been spending some time with.
Like everybody else, I've been getting back into Chrono Trigger with the re-release. I remember playing through it on the SNES in college and trying to explain to my roommate that there was combat, but we "took turns" and used strategy. He just thought it was dumb. I'm actually surprised how much I've played of this one, but I think it helps that I played it long enough ago to kinda sorta remember characters and settings, but not really.
A great one that's been taking up a fair amount of time on the portable is Soul Bubbles. I think a lot of people missed this one. In fact, I heard about it from some "best games you missed in 2008" list. (And I think I found that via Mitch over at Insult Swordfighting) This is a great mix of puzzles, playfulness, and zen.
I tried out some Spiderman: Web of Shadows and was really impressed with the way you move around, but got bored with the thin story and sort of dull combat. I think I'm probably through with this one.
I really wanted to like Neopets Puzzle Adventure (from the Puzzle Quest developers) just to have something to hold me over until Galactrix comes out, but I just couldn't do it. Literally. I suck at Othello. Plus it seemed like it was missing all the great RPG elements of Puzzle Quest.
So that's it for portable games. I throw in some Mario Kart whenever I get to play with someone else. Really, that little cartridge has gotten the most use of any I've ever bought. Quite the value.

No comments: