Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mirror's Edge final thoughts

Wallrunning is really tough in this game. I don't ever remember having this much trouble in Prince of Persia where there's a third person perspective. But I don't think that relied on it quite as much, either. There was one section midway through chapter eight that nearly made me give up the game entirely. You have to wallrun off a very short platform and make it quite a ways. The problem is, you've never had to do a jump quite like this. I felt like there were a few times that the game asked you to expand on your maneuvers in subtle ways that weren't very apparent. The tutorial at the beginning doesn't do enough to prepare you for stuff like this. Even after looking at a video of someone doing the exact jump, I still had to try it a few times before getting it. Overall I attempted it probably 20 times. And the checkpoint is set up a bit before this, so I did that one section A LOT.
But I eventually made it and got to the end. The final sequence seems to fit for the rest of the game, but once I was done thought about how I didn't really fight a boss like I do in most other games. There was just a couple of simple jumps and then the animation takes over and credits roll.
Next up, Gears of War 2...

No comments: