Thursday, January 1, 2009

Why I quit playing Silent Hill: Homecoming

I got really frustrated with it this afternoon when all the things I disliked about it came together at once. It's really hard to see anything in the game. Light is scarce and your pathetic excuse for a flashlight doesn't work consistently. While I love the handwritten notes that appear on your map as you walk around, I got to a spot where the map must have been wrong since I couldn't get to where it looked like I should be going. The combat is basically rhythm-based and all about blocking and pushing the buttons at the right time. Other games have already pointed out my complete lack of rhythm. I didn't need this one reminding me too. I had even read that the best way to survive the game was to run away from as many enemies as possible. Are you kidding? That's the complete opposite of the way I like to play games. When I'm traversing screens in Zelda, I'm compelled to kill every enemy before moving on to the next screen. When I play a shooter I'd prefer to pick off enemies one by one until they're gone and I can walk through the area unmolested. In Silent Hill, I always seemed to run into enemies where I couldn't safely just ignore 'em. They'd corner me in a dead end or attack me while I'm trying to figure out some environmental puzzle that the game throws at you.
So I made it to the sewers where it's dark (big surprise), there are lots of dead ends, and lots of annoying enemies. So I quit.
I did find a few things to like about the game. It's certainly spooky and atmospheric but that's not enough. The story, what I saw of it anyway, is kinda dumb. I had a feeling I would be chasing after that dumb kid the whole time the first time he ran away from me at the beginning of the game. And if the town is so messed up and nobody knows why, don't you think it would be on the news or something? How has this guy not heard that his hometown has gotten so effed while he was away. Whatever.
So sorry, sister-in-law. I know how you love your Silent Hill, but I just don't want to play anymore.
-Dave

2 comments:

Abbey said...

The Sister-In-Law says, "I Understand" I gave up too! I have rhythm and I still can't kill the damn monsters that jump out at you. Previous SH games were not so bad.--(I mean, I could beat them. That has to say something!) Although I will admit I never thought I would see Dave giving up on a game. :)

Dave said...

I give up on games all the time. Mostly because they're usually a rental and time is money. It actually doesn't take all that much for me to get to the point of "I don't have time for this crap!"