Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Points Don't Matter

I was all geared up a while back to write a post about Xbox 360 Achievement Points. But then I see this post where he basically said everything I was going to. And it's more well written than I would have made it. So do yourself a favor and go read it. I can't say I disagree with anything in there.
For a while I was in competition with everyone on my friends list whether they knew it or not. I just had to catch their scores. Now I've passed everybody but my punk nephew. That's not even fair though since he's in high school and I have a full time job, a wife, and house that all require maintenance to keep them running smoothly (I love you honey...). I passed him for about a week early last summer. Long enough to point it out to him, at least. He then promptly went home and played a bunch. I haven't caught him since. I blame it on that whole "not having to go to school for 3 months" thing. Ya, we'll go with that.
I honestly don't know why we have the obsession with points. I spent most of my Saturday picking up some points in games that I haven't played in almost a year. I'm now a Worm and Moth hunter in Lost Planet, and a Silencer in the Dark Brotherhood of Oblivion. The wife was not impressed when I rattled off my new titles.
But the best idea I've heard lately to make them more meaningful is to tie certain achievements to gamer pictures or avatar clothes. If, for example, only the people that finished Halo 3 campaign got to put a Master Chief helmet on their avatar? Man, that would be some motivation.
I've been trying to figure out how to paste my gamercard in here as an continuously updating widget...thingy, but I can't get it to work. So just pretend it's there and be happy.
So I'll continue chasing these things even though the logical part of my brain says I shouldn't care. But the logical part of my brain also says I should be running on the treadmill to get ready for the next snowboard trip instead of playing games in the first place. Screw you, logical brain!

No comments: